Monday, September 7, 2009

Sunday : 2 weeks here- my long short stay

Half of my skull is not missing. I am not the one moaning in pain down the hall. I am not confined to a wheelchair. I am not wearing a helmet nor do I need to wipe the uncontrollable drool from my lips. Nope. These are the fates of others I have been staying with here in the ARU. I was the mountain bike guy. I could've been one of the 2 motorcyle guys that have broken multiple limbs. They were here before me and they will be here when I leave this week.I spoke to a grateful mother yesterday. Her son was the one sitting innocently in his car at a red light with his pregnant girlfriend in the passenger seat. They watched as a car flipped and flew through the intersection and landed on them. She was able to step out of the car unharmed. His body needed to be cut out of the wreckage. He was the one with the helmet. Half his skull is currently is a deep freezer to allow for for his brain to swell and heal. They will reattach it later. I focused on the positives of his situation. The fact that drs have the ability to medically treat this young man's skull and save him is unbelieveable. The fact that one day he will be holding his healthy baby and telling him about this crazy chapter of his life is a blessing. He nodded in agreement. Wow. As I write this I almost get emotional. Truly thank you God. It could have been so much worse. Things happen so quickly in this world. It did to me. It did to the others here. So Sunday was my 2 week anniversary here at the hospital. A day off from therapy sessions. A day to rest. Mom, Mindie and the kids walked through my door in the morning. I could here angel voices coming from down the hall and I thought to myself someone here has a little one coming to cheer them up. I was that lucky guy. Rachel brought me an upside down caramel macchiato. My old pastor Graydon made a surprise visit. It was great to catch up with him. Nathan and his girlfriend alia visited again. They have seen me the first Sunday it happened, then one week later and then again a week later this Sunday (yesterday). It was cool to hear his opinion of my progress from week over week. A week ago seems so long ago now. But if you ask me if my stay in the hospital has been long I would say yes and no. Yes it has been long- long enough to make me appreciate things I will never take for granted again in my life: simple things like being able to put my feet on the ground and stand to walk. Yes it has been a long stay- just long enough to genuinely understand that my stay was actually a short stay and could've been so much longer.Again, thank you for your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Josh, the day after your accident, I praised God all day long. I know it sounds odd, but I was praising him that your spinal cord was unharmed and that you had no head injuries...I knew your injuries were very serious, but I wanted to thank our Lord for what he had preserved in you physically and mentally. I knew this would be a powerful moment for you and others, your recovery. Thank you for your courage, thank you for your stories. I'm so happy about your progress:) Praise God!

    ReplyDelete