Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A.R.U.

So last night at about 10pm it became official. I graduated to the ARU here at UCI. That stands for Acute Rehab Unit. There's also AnUgly Rehab Unit. Sure glad I wasn't sent there. Jk ;). That's a praise because it means my xray. Showed I don't need surgery for now. Please keep praying I never will need it. I was a little intimidated that me and my pain might need be ready for so much rehab. You have 4 sessions with occupational and physical therapists every day. But today went great. First of all the ARU is in a newer building. My room is bigger with windows and AC. The nurses and therapists all work together and customized each workout just for me. It doesn't take long for them to see that I still have a lot of pain so they have been great today about working with those tough movements for me. If you're sitting down right now do this: move your left leg to the left about 5 inches and then bring it back to center about 3 inches. Thats what I was able to do today in my first PT session. Doesn't sound like much. But I'm staying positive because I feel I have made so much progress in the last few days since I have been able to stand. I sat down with help into a wheelchair for the first time. It was so nice to be mobile! My dad and in laws were visiting today during my lunch. They have a big open room with a plasma TV and wii for us ARUers to chill in. I also got my IV out of my arm so there is officially nothing foreign sticking out of my arm. Chest. Or privates holding me back any more. I also got some shorts and t shirts of my own today. Up til now its been those hospital "patient up front party in the rear" gowns. The true test of my will power and attitude came when I asked the physical therapist today how long before I'm ready to go home (ie able to get out of bed, go potty, dress myself ). He said 3 weeks. Wow. I was hoping for 1 week. Bottom line is I will go home when I know I am truly ready. There is no point to go home too early and not be able to get off the couch or go to the bathroom withn Mindie pulling me up and down. That's not an option. If I can go home sooner than 3 weeks so be it. I know I will be busting my butt Wach session to get home. I miss my kids and sleeping in bed with my best friend. That's you Mindie. Her hair smells good by the way. I took a handful of it today when she was visiting me and took in a big sniff of it. It smelled like home.
Here's a great scripture I need to focus on in my daily battles... "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not does not disappoint us..." Romans 5:2-5 .

No comments:

Post a Comment