Thursday, September 3, 2009

another up and down day

So I already had my title picked out for todays blog. It should have been "best day yet". Thank you all for your prayers because my pain is decreasing. My mobility is definitely increasing. All the therapists noticed today how well I was moving. They all challenged me to do more like getting out of bed all by myself, sitting down in a chair and on the toilet, taking the walker into the shower. I even put a sock on my left foot by myself. I had a natural high all day today. The OT told me if my progress stays at this rate I will be going home much sooner! Praise God. So pumped. My buddy Louie was about to come visit me tonight. And Mindie, Isaiah, and her friend Lyndsay were coming too. I was excited to show off how I can get out of bed up to my walker. My comfort and quickness using the walker has improved too. But jist minutes before they arrived the nurse came in to inform me that I tested positive for the worst kind of staph infection called MRSA. You're more susceptible in the hospital when you have tubes and in your nose and chest and other places like I did last week. So they let me know about it and it was like getting kicked in the stomach at the end of a great day. It didn't fit with the theme I thought was developing for me. Mindie arrived and started walking in just seconds after they handed me a 16 page info pack on this infection. Its contagious and you can die from it potentially. Sounds scary. I told Mindie to just stand in the hall as I told her the news. I didn't want her or Isaiah to come near me until I knew exactly what to expect and what is allowed. The nurses have not been much help in explaining it and a call to the Dr on call got a vague answer that I'm healthy so they are not going to give me anything to treat the infection. I hope I can sleep because I'm not gonna get any real answers til tomorrow. I know that MRSA is resistant to most antibiotics and everyone now has to wear masks and gloves to be in my room. Makes you feel special in the wrong kinda way. But I've also heard that its very common for patients to get this in the hospital and good health makes a big difference in the impact the infection will have on you. I hope I have nothing really to worry about. I just want to get out of here asap. As I write this my worries have subsided. I am hoping that's just the peace of almighty God just residing in me and. I read my bible and did a word search on my kindle for words like sick and ill. Jesus instantly healed many many people far worse off than me. Bottom line: its out of my control and God has already displayed his power and peace in me this last week and a half. Why worry? I just don't feel like it. Please pray for this infection to be gone completely and instantly so I can have my precious friends and family into my room to sit with me and tell me their stories. I really wanted to kiss my chunky baby boy tonight. I had to settle for blowing him a kiss out the window. Psalm 112:4,6-8 says "Even in darkness light dawns for the upright...Surely he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever. He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. His heart is secure, he will have no fear..." .

1 comment:

  1. hey bro! i am sorry i have not called or wrote more, but i have been busy at work....sounds like you are doing really great!....when i read about MRSA, I didnt even flinch, it is my understanding that is not that bad...prob pretty common...no way should it be life threantening! guys on my team used to get it just from being in the locker room...dont stress. I am so happy to hear how awesome you are doing, and glad that you have OT! i hope the new OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS are better than what you experienced before, and that they help you even more than your PTs...haha. If they are, you should find that they are more willing to treat you as an individual, not as a name tag, and be creative in your therapy to personalize your concerns and goals...to do what YOU find important/meaningful. Tell them what it is that you find most important, AND what your interests are...they should find ways to incorporate your personality/interests into your treatment (ie, you used to be an athelete, you want to be able to hold your kids, or even just wipe your butt...of course, all that is what is taught in school, but sometimes the real world is different. (i just imagined you dancing down the hall to some early 90s jam...some marky mark, rather than walking, after they find out that you like to dance) lol...i love you bro! Ill call you tomorrow (Fri) and see you sometime this weekend!
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete